Monday, May 30, 2011

what am I going to do with my life?

The count down is on. I turn 40 in one week.


So far I've had a month off to do quite a bit of thinking about what to do with my life. I've been having a hard time coming up with a clear idea of what that is.


I think that has something to do with the fact that I very rarely ask myself what I really want (other than shoes). I've spent most of my life trying to do what other people have wanted or needed me to do, or doing what I thought I had to do.


I've spend 40 years doing that. I think it's time to spend the next 40 figuring out - and doing - what I want to do.


I want to live on a boat. I really want to live on a boat in California or maybe Hawaii - it's gotta be somewhere hot all year round.


But what do I want to do? As a result of repeatedly asking myself this question, some interesting things have arrived in my life to help me find the answers.


On Friday, Jason Mraz put up a post on his blog, Freshness Factor Five Thousand, about a blog called The Daily Love. There are so many wonderful ideas on this website about the power of positive thinking, how to love yourself and others better, and how to get what you want out of life.



A post that particularly caught my eye was one called "How to be a magnet for what you want" by Gabrielle Bernstein. Now obviously you have to know what you want to become a magnet for that thing but I liked Gabby's style. 



So I went to her YouTube page and checked out some more of her thoughts. And in this short chat about what she wants out of life, I think I found a good starting place.


I want to figure out how best to serve with love.


I want to help people by doing what I'm good at - which is helping people see the forces at work in their lives and how to change them or just change how they think about them and be happier. I want to help people get happy! Now who wants some help?

1 comment:

  1. WOW! The boat looks so different! You did an incredible job! Both with the boat, and choosing a path. Thanks so much choosing to do what you did, and in effect helping people around me--including me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...