Friday, May 21, 2010

cannes I make a clafoutis?

My lament over not being able to eat pain au chocolat (otherwise known as a chocolate croissant) at chabichou, lead me to thinking about the delicious delights I can no longer enjoy at yet another delightful French cafe: Clafouti.


And then it occurred to me that while a wheat-free croissant is probably not worth having even if it exists, a wheat-free clafoutis might be something I could actually make.


Et voila! Pattycake has a recipe for a wheat-free blueberry & fig clafoutis - what could be better?


The recipe seemed so easy ...


eggs, (almond) milk, honey, vanilla, corn flower ...


add lots of figs and blueberries and it should come out looking like the photo above.


Well, except when it doesn't.

 

So, yes I can make a clafoutis - but not a good one. My custard would not gel and in the end the entire thing was seriously overcooked. Not sure what the deal is with this, but if I've learned anything about baking it's that the second time I make something it usually comes out better ...


At least my hat still looks good and I'm planning to do some other French things with the fine fellow on the boat this lovely long-weekend ;) Joyeux May 24!!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...