Monday, April 26, 2010

Island fauna

I spent the weekend on the Toronto Island on the fine fellow's boat.

(view from the boat)

It's just a short bike ride and ferry ride away but it feels very far from the city, and it was amazing to be on the water and surrounded by all the spring flora and fauna. We spent quite a bit of our time admiring nature and feeding the animals.

Penny the cat came over for a bit of scratching,


and Swanee came right up behind me as I was basking on the dock hissing like the dinosaur he is and insisting on being fed. So I gave him some bread and he also tried to snack on my fingers! Turns out swan bites don't hurt cause they are vegetarians but they can break your arm with their wings if you don't fork over some food.

(this is not a close-up)

The peacocks were feeling pretty lazy perhaps because it was cool on Sunday and they let me get very close to them. Look at that peacock blue!

(neither is this)

The donkeys were very interested in the celery, as were the goats, but then goats will eat anything.


The Shetland ponies are so cute and I can't wait until the gondola is running, the log ride is splashing, and the water is warm enough for swimming.




But I did find the first lilac of spring and it was all a little bit of heaven!

1 comment:

  1. jealous! i haven't seen any lilacs yet! i can't believe you guys have peacocks!! amazing! i love swans...how do they keep their feathers so white? dreaminess.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...